30 October 2006

The Cheddar chronicles: indecision

As you can see from the fine feline specimen in this picture, I am a cat. Being a cat entitles me to certain privileges. We meow, we purr, we lick, we roll about on the floor and we sleep in the glorious sunshine for hours on end. And being a cat allows us a another privilege, too. It is the privilege of indecision.

I spend a great deal of time in a state of indecision on the matter of whether I wish to be in or out of the house. I often find myself sitting by the back door willing it to open so that I may go outside. And once outside, I will turn around and sit on the back step willing that same door to open again so that I may go back inside.

Sometimes I'm not out for more than two minutes before I decide that it is time for me go back in again. And when I'm in, I may very well change my mind within 90 seconds and decide to go back out. This cycle can repeat itself anywhere from five to 35 times in one day, depending on the weather.

The reason I do this is as simple as the whiskers on my face. I am a cat. This is what cats do. Need I say more? Well yes, apparently. You see, I am owned by a human who does not comprehend this aspect of my feline nature. Being a human, She cannot accept that I should go outside with no sense of purpose, or that I should return with the same lack of purpose.

What I'm beginning to understand that She is the one with the problem, and that I, the cat, am merely fulfilling my biological destiny to be indecisive and without purpose. And now, if you will excuse me, I have to go. I need to find Her so She will let me out again. And then She will have to let me in again. We're going to have a busy evening. Goodbye.