08 January 2007

The importance of being (a) Dick

Given the uproar our Where are you Dick? post has created, the GT has decided to post this comment from the Man himself who has made a splash with his return after a three week absence.

I can't help but feel partially responsible for the indecent path which
this blog is following. Having been a Dick for the past 30 odd years gives me a special appreciation of the issue. Please believe me when I say I have heard it all. It has even made it into mainstream advertizing for MADD, "Be a Dick, don't drink and drive".

My father in law, rest in peace, came from Germany and told me
that Dick (probably spelled differently) was their slang for an idiot, directly translated as 'thick'. So I think everyone should celebrate a long and multicultural tradition of having fun with peoples names. Remember Octopussy?

Speaking of decency, some people won't call me Dick. They go out of their way to call me Richard even if I have never introduced myself as such. At first I thought that it was intended to impress me with their etymological prowess, but later discovered that it was a result of their etymological ignorance and thought they were calling me a rude name.

Some understand the connection but won't use 'Dick' for some other unknown but probably giggley reason. The upside is when somebody calls me a dick I can respond in kind. this can be illustrated by the following example:

Anthony: You are a dick!
Richard: You are an Anthony.
Anthony: What's that supposed to mean (perplexed and aggravated).
Richard: (runs away).
Anthony: Dick!!
Richard: (runs back)
What now Anthonyhead?! (runs away)
That has got to be my cue to stop typing. GT I think you may have
answered your question with your statement. Decency is out of fashion.